Saturday, December 6, 2008

St. Nikolaus Visited Last Night...

I was telling Kyle about how when I lived in Germany, most kids were visited by St. Nikolaus, a Saint that was known for all the good deeds he did for his friends and neighbors. I believe in Sweden and the Netherlands he is also called Sinder Claas. He leaves treats in kids shoes. Anyhoo, he was interested so I told him if he wrote a note as to what good deed he would do for a neighbor, St. Nikolaus might visit us as well (he comes the eve of 12/6). He decided to bake cookies and take them to a neighbor he doesn't know. Abbie is going to draw a picture and do the same.

It looks like their plan for good deeds passed the test because St. Nikolaus visited our house last night. Daisy even got a little something. Abbie was thrilled. Kyle won't be home again until Sunday but I'm sure it is the first thing he will ask me about.

PS - Kyle wanted to use a slipper just in case St. Nikolaus decided to steal his shoe instead of leave a treat.

On another note....I called Tripp's sister Elizabeth the other day and Abbie asked me who I called, "Aunt Elizabeth" I answered. She asked me if Clifford was there too. I couldn't figure out why she thought Clifford (the big red dog) lived with Elizabeth. About 10 minutes later I realized she thought I said, "Emily Elizabeth" and laughed pretty hard. It was funny to me for a couple of reasons but most of all because to her, calling Emily Elizabeth (from books and TV) was a perfectly normal thing to do. I'd love to live in that world.

3 comments:

Lindsay Griffeth said...

Even though I never lived in Germany, I may have to steal that tradition when Nate is old enough to somewhat understand.

And that's really funny about Clifford. :)

Mamathom and Papathom said...

Thanks so much for those updates. It is wonderful to share Christmas traditions from other countries. I know Kyle will love it when he gets home. See you soon.

Patrick and Jennifer Thompson said...

How fun, we had an exchange student from Germany and she taught us all about this tradition. It's a great idea for kids we might have to steal it also.