Tuesday, December 16, 2008

London

Tripp had to go to Scotland for meetings a few weeks ago and he convinced me to meet him in London for a few days of play. Thanks to fantastic family members who where willing to stay with our kids, I was able to meet him for a few days across the Pond.

I flew out Tuesday, arrived Wednesday and spent two days with my dear college friend Tracy Keller Oxtoby. She has been living just outside of London for a few years now and I promised to do my best to try and visit her while she was abroad. Luckily, I was able to keep my promise and spend two days with her and her darling girls, Emma & Sophie. We spent Wednesday afternoon lunching and running some quick errands then Thursday we headed for the city to do some shopping. We hoped to meet her husband, Andrew, who has in the city for meetings during my stay but unfortunately, he was swamped. Next time.

Tripp arrived late Thursday night and we chatted with Tracy before crashing. The next morning we headed to London for our three day holiday. It was hard leaving Tracy (holding back the tears hard) but I hope to meet her in Columbia this summer at her parent's house for a visit. Besides, she was leaving for Christmas in MO Saturday and needed some time to pack.
Me and my Grandma. Well, pledge grandma that is. All we were missing was Seiler to complete the family tree. Maybe next time.

Friday:
After arriving in London and getting our bags to the hotel, we walked to Harrods and spent a little time looking around. The holiday crowds were crazy (not that Harrods isn't always packed but in December, yikes!) so we set off across Hyde Park and over to Kensington Palace. We toured the palace but unfortunately the Orangery was closed for a private party that day so we couldn't stop for tea. Instead, we headed back to our hotel, found a wonderful Italian restaurant for dinner then hit the sack. We were both pooped.

Saturday:
It was raining outside so definitely a day for inside sightseeing. Our first stop was Westminster Abbey. It's always such an amazing place to be. I find something new each visit. This time, Jeremy Irons voiced the audio tour which was a nice addition.
Next, we headed over to the Cabinet War Rooms and the Churchill Museum. I've never been and was so happy to squeeze it in. I'm fascinated with WWII so it was definitely a hit with me. Tripp took a picture of this poster we liked - could be my motto for 2009!
At the end of the day we decided to try the Orangery again. It is my absolutely favorite thing to do in London and we were thrilled to get right in. There is nothing like tea in the Organery. If you are ever in London, I suggest you give it a try. A big thanks to Lindsay's friend Lauren who introduced me to it during their summer abroad.
Sunday:
Luckily the weather cleared up so we could venture outdoors. First stop, Tower of London. I recommend it to everyone. The Beefeaters are so much fun and give a great group tour. Below is our Beefeater, one of Her Majesty's Guards stationed outside the Royal Jewels and a shot of my single favorite thing about the Tower of London - the blue doors.


After several hours at the Tower we headed to Oxford Circus to pick up a few remaining gifts then sneaked into the National Gallery a couple of hours before they closed. After heading back to the hotel, we walked around the corner for some fish & chips before packing our bags for our early flight the next morning.
We had a lovely time. The trip flew by but we definitely missed our kids and were happy to arrive home shortly before 10 p.m. Monday night. Tripp heads to CA Thursday and Houston in January...I'll definitely be staying home for those trips.

5 comments:

Lindsay Griffeth said...

You went to my favorite place on earth! Glad you had fun. Makes me want to plan my own trip. :)

Mamathom and Papathom said...

Loved that update and the pictures. So glad that you had a good time. Love you.

Colette said...

How awesome! What a fun little getaway, I think I'll put London on my wish list! :)

thebutlerfam said...

For us homebound, non-travelers, thanks for the sneak peak! The pics are beautiful! Wish I was there!
xoxonik

kh said...

Ahhhhh London....