Thursday, May 13, 2010

Cafe und Kuchen

The Germans and Austrians have a delightful tradition of stopping what they are doing in the mid-late afternoon and sitting down for coffee/tea and cake or another yummy treat. Come 3ish every afternoon my darling German hostmom would produce a cake, torte or some other delicious treat along with coffee/tea or juice, etc. and we would sit down for a rest and a snack.

On Tuesday afternoon Abbie, Daisy and I sat down with milk and oreos for our own little Cafe und Kuchen. It was yummy and the girls drank a good portion of milk, which was nice (not having to shove it down their throats). Do I see this tradition starting in my home? Probably not. But I do like the idea of eating a large meal for lunch (your main meal), a treat in the afternoon then a small dinner in the evening with high fiber breads, meats, cheeses and some fruit. Washing it down with a cup of peppermint tea (like my hostdad did) doesn't sound bad either.

Here is our dinner schedule for the week:
Thursday: Noodles and Steamed Veggies
Friday: Taco Salad
Saturday: Chicken Nuggets, Fruit & Veggies/Dip
Sunday: Ribs, Mashed Potatoes, Veggies
Meatless Monday: Grilled Cheese Sandwiches & Tomato Soup (I have a new recipe to try!)
Tuesday: TBD

0 comments: