Friday, April 30, 2010

The Garden

We worked on our spring/summer garden Saturday. We even added a Topsy Turvy (to Kyle's delight...he loves everyone you see sold on TV). This year we planted all our herbs in a pot so they wouldn't take over the garden. Next we planted strawberries, green peppers, yellow peppers, more tomatoes, eggplant, cucumber, honeydew melon, pumpkins, watermelon and a lot of asparagus (per Tripp). We have a few more items that we'd like to plant over the next few weeks then it will simply be maintenance until the fall. The lettuce I planted in the fall is finally coming up nicely (Yippee for spinach and butter lettuce!) so we are excited about that...well me more than anyone else. In the fall we plan to plant a few more fruit trees and in the winter we hope to start our apple trees. Someday we hope the yard is full of some kind of produce all year round.

The girls favorite part (outside of the fish and turtles at the nursery)...the worms and ladybugs we added. The 600 worms made a pretty quick getaway but the ladybugs are staying around. Ruby enjoyed catching them all in the butterfly net Monday morning.







4 comments:

Lindsay Griffeth said...

In the next few years when I get around to planting a garden, I know who to call.

In the meantime, I'll share some pomegranates off my bush. That is, if we ever get some!

Mamathom and Papathom said...

WOW, you have been busy with all that garden. We hope to till ours, when the snow stops, had more this week. Can't wait to see how the tomatoes do and how they taste. GREAT JOB.

kh said...

Oooooh cool! One of these days I REALLY want to get going on a garden like you guys.

Patrick and Jennifer Thompson said...

Very Cool! Please let us know who the Topsy Turvy Tomatoes turn out, I have thought about trying one.