Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A New Best Friend & A Night of Seuss

Abbie's found a new best friend. My friend Katie came down for a weekend and Abbie fell in love. We've seen her many times before but never when she didn't have kids and a husband and dog to take care of along side the visit. This time, she was able to really chat and play with Abbie and Abbie was in heaven. Daisy too for that matter. She spent time reading to Abbie, playing princess, and anything else you can imagine. When we dropped Katie off at the airport yesterday Abbie couldn't say goodbye to her. She wouldn't talk or look at her because it was too hard. Her eyes were welling up. As we pulled away Daisy started crying and saying, "Katie, Katie".

Their reactions pretty much sum up my feelings for Katie. We've been friends since middle school and no matter how far the distance or how busy our lives have been, we've always remained close. She has always been there for me. What's great is that neither of us love chatting on the phone or being in touch 24/7 so the friendship really has worked for us all these years. We decided in the fall to plan a yearly long weekend to get together and rest. This year, I planned a stay-cation of sorts at Mandalay Bay. We ate out, hiked at Red Rock, spent time at the spa, rested by the pool, saw The Lion King, read countless magazines and books and simply relaxed together. Both of us have wonderful husbands who agreed to stay home with the kids one weekend a year so that we can get together. We'll see Katie and her fun family this summer while visiting Reno but this time for just the two of us was fantastic. Thanks Tripp & Martin. This would never have worked without your generosity.



Thank goodness for Aunts as well. Last night some great friends planned the most amazing Dr. Seuss themed party for a Relief Society Birthday Party. With Tripp out of town I just couldn't be home with Daisy, waiting for Kyle after scouts and with Abbie at the party all at the same time. That is where Lindsay comes in. She was going and so kindly agreed to take Abbie along with her. Abbie had the best time at the party and with her Aunt Lindsay. I'm sad I had to miss it but thankful Abbie has such a sweet aunt to hang out with (having her as a sister is pretty great too).

4 comments:

Mamathom and Papathom said...

That was a wonderful update. So glad you had a good friend visit and some "relaxing time" for yourself. Yes, those hubbies are keepers. Also, so glad that Lindsey could fill in for you at the party. Sometimes that happens when we can't cover all bases at the same time. LOVE YOU ALL

Tina said...

Best Friends and Sisters can't do without them.

Colette said...

Awesome... life would be boring without sisters and friends. :) Glad you had a fun weekend - I'll be sure to hint to Eric how great your husbands are!

Legarza said...

I had such a great time! Thank you so much for planning our vacation. I am glad I stayed an extra day. Although I absolutely love my family, it was so nice not to be distracted and to be able to play with my "girfriends". Looks like you have some competition for the BFF title!!