Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Cook Group Week Eight: Grand Finale

With the end of the cooking group, I thought I might feature by far the most experimental eater in my group, Daisy. Throughout this experience, she has tried every dish I made and loved almost all of them as well. She is truly our best eater followed closely by her brother.


With the end of the cooking group, I decided to try a few new dishes. Each one was fun, although some were not really all that new.

While picking up my farm basket last week (more on that later), I decided to get a package of fresh mozzarella. My pick-up location is Valley Wine & Cheese and they have the most amazing cheese counter. Tripp and I love Insalata Caprese but we never make it at home. Why? Who knows. It's so easy and delicious. So I bought a package of buffalo mozzarella from Bob, the nice man at the cheese store, and made it last week. And it was delicious. The ingredients are simple, most of which are growing in our garden. If you need a recipe, try any number of online sources, shouldn't be hard. Mine included fresh tomatoes, basil, cheese, olive oil and a little salt and pepper. Abbie was the only one who wouldn't eat it but like her aunt Sam, no tomatoes will pass those lips.
Speaking of my farm basket, I've had a ton of squash and some potatoes and decided to try a squash soup. This Cooking Light recipe kept showing up so I gave it a whirl. I served the soup in bread bowls and it was very good. Daisy liked it (as usual), Kyle at it without complaint and even Tripp was interested (he isn't usually a squash soup lover).

Last night I was going to try a Spaghetti Squash with Jalapenos recipe until I realized that I used the Spaghetti Squash in my soup the night before (oops). It was still good so, o'well. I'm not sure what the other squash is that still resides in my fridge. I really have received so many varieties of squash that I can't identify them all or keep them straight. So, I'll have to try this one another time and figure out something new for the mystery squash.

I also made Blondies and Tollhouse Pie last week. Both of which I would swear that I've made my family before but neither of which they claim to have ever eaten. Simple, easy and Tripp and Kyle were in heaven so I guess I won't argue about whether or not we've had them before.

And with that being said, my cooking group experience is officially over. It has been a lot of fun. I hope my family has enjoyed it as well.

And about the farm share...our family joined another family to buy a share of a local farm. It's a CSA and our share entitles us to a portion of their harvest. We bought in to the fall harvest and our family gets the share basket one week then the other family the next. It has been a lot of fun and has helped Tripp and I work towards a goal of eating more locally (instead of our produce coming globally). With birthdays and Christmas, we are going to have to skip the winter share but plan to return again in the Spring. Can't wait!!!!!

3 comments:

kh said...

I've heard the best things about that store. I really need to make some time to stop in.

And I dig that pic of Daisy. Right on, little chica!

Mamathom and Papathom said...

Loved that update. You are ONE GREAT COOK. Love you

Sammy said...

I am glad that abbie shares my disgust of tomatoes :) I need to go with you on one of your visits to the farm I am intrigued.