Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Cooking Group Week One: Fish Tacos

I joined an online Cooking Group sponsored by one of my new favorite blogs, Raising Foodies. The darling author started the group as a forum for moms (and dads) to get new kid friendly recipes for their familes. The group members are charged with fixing a new (to them) healthy and kid friendly recipe each week. We'll post our results every Tuesday for eight weeks. She will post hers along with a few of her favorites from the group on Thursdays. Hopefully at the end of eight weeks there will be a lot of fun new recipes to try for the entire family.

Week One: Fish Tacos
I made a grilled Tilapia with grilled pineapple salsa a couple of weeks ago that Daisy really liked but Abbie was unsure of (as usual). I thought if I turned it into a taco, she might be more open to it.
Daisy again loved it and Abbie was still a little unsure but did a better job eating it in taco form than with the pineapple salsa on top. I served it with a side of beans but would have added chips and rice had they been in the house. All in all, good eating.

Grilled Tilapia
1 packet taco seasoning
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 pieces of Tilapia (or other white fish)
Mix the seasoning and olive oil in a shallow dish. Coat the fish and grill. Done!

I also made a sauce to go with the fish tacos:
3/4 cup mayo
3/4 cup sour cream
1 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1/2 lime
Puree all the ingredients in a blender until smooth. This sauce is awesome with fish tacos but very spicey...not meant for children. It also makes a ton of sauce.

I served the tacos with shredded cabbage and monterey jack cheese. We like to use corn tortillas and fry them on the stove ourselves (or should I say Tripp).



3 comments:

Lindsay Griffeth said...

Keep posting recipes! I'm always looking for something new to cook.

Kristine said...

It looks yummy! I wish I could my little one to eat fish! I refuse to give up! : )

Sammy said...

if you ever make them again i think you should invite me... i kind of want to try this fish rolled up in a taco