Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Perpetual Princess

Abbie has been dressed like a princess for a few days now. She asked me about 6 months ago if I would buy her a princess dress. We have a pretty strict no toys except on birthdays or at Christmas rule so I told her that if she threw her passies in the trash can I would buy her a princess dress. She wanted a princess dress of her own so badly (she has borrowed Lulu & Ruby's a couple of times now) but just couldn't give up that passie at nap and bedtime. She'd talk about it a lot but could never actually get rid of them.

On Saturday, she asked for a princess dress for the billionth time and I told her what she needed to do and she actually wanted to do it. So Tripp took her to the outside trash can and she threw both of the them in. We went that afternoon to pick out her dress, shoes, necklace, and the two cups I promised her (a princess cup and a Lightning McQueen cup). She's had a couple of tough nights but last night we hung her dress in her bed and she did just fine. She told her daddy that she didn't have to be sad because mommy hung her dress in her bed with her.

We let her wear the dress all day yesterday but told her as of today she could only wear it while we were at home...normal clothes when we leave the house. So is so thrilled with her things and we are glad the passies are history.

They didn't have glass slippers so she picked these out instead. Thank goodness she didn't like those crazy high-heeled slip-on ones!!!!!

The only Thompson left with a passie....

7 comments:

Mamathom and Papathom said...

Oh, my precious little girls are growing up. Sooooo cute. I would think they look like me - when I was much, much younger (hahaha) Love you all.

Lindsay Griffeth said...

Good job, Abbie! You looked very cute in your princess dress today!

Sammy said...

hopefully she does not learn that the thumb makes a pretty good substitute...

kh said...

Classic! I'm with her...a new dress is almost always worth a bit of sacrifice.

Ali said...

Well Sam, if she does, we'll have to get in touch with Grandma & Papa and see if they are willing to spring for another trip to Disneyland for everyone to get her to stop. I believe we stayed in the Disneyland Hotel...or was that for the tonsils?

Sammy said...

No that was for the thumb sucking... we just happened to go three years after I stopped.

Unknown said...

That is the cutest thing I have seen in quite a while. I don't know if you remember, but Sarah had here "nannie" until she was almost 4... Great job, Abbie. Isn't being a princess so much better than being a baby? =)