Sunday, November 2, 2008

Disneyland

We took off Thursday right after Kyle got out of school, ran a couple of errands for my job, than headed to Anaheim for our weekend at Disneyland. We generally only plan one day trips but with the Nevada Day holiday, we've had this two day plan on the schedule for about a year now. I was talking to a friend about it the other day and she made a comment about how Disneyland was our thing...meaning a Thompson family thing. She's right, it is our thing. Tripp and I got engaged there and we've been making it a priority to go with (and without the kids - rainy trip with Tara & Sam - one of the best ever) ever since. Granted, I've always been a Disneyland devotee, but finding Tripp was equally enchanted by the place was definitely a huge bonus. Kyle asked how many times Abbie has been to Disneyland - I couldn't answer. In her short three years of life I've already lost count. Daisy has been twice. So I guess you could say we just spent the weekend doing our thing.

Day One: Disneyland with the Hurd/Palacios Family
It wouldn't be Disneyland without Scott, Tara, Jake and Nicole. They are our Disneyland partners. We met them minutes after the gates opened and went non-stop until 10:30 or so. They were staying in San Diego that night and we had some pretty tired little ones so it was tough to say goodbye, but a must. We are already planning our next trip.

Abbie and Daisy dressed up in their princess attire for the day
The girls - Nicole Palacios, Tara Hurd, Abbie, Daisy & Ali Thompson
Mommy and Daisy on Dumbo
Daddy & Abbie 0n Dumbo - Abbie loved Dumbo, the Tea Cups (her favorite) and the Carousel
Daisy in her Minnie attire
Kyle after a treat (I'm sure)
Abbie and her "Tigger Tail"
Luckily, Daisy was happy to chill in her stroller most of the time.
Scott & Nicole sampling the caramel apples - a Disneyland specialty
Tripp, Nicole, Scott, Kyle & Jake on Splash Mountain
Scott and his turkey leg - we thought we'd never see the day someone in our party
would partake of the leg.

Day Two: California Adventure & Disneyland
Unfortunately, the Hurd/Palacios group spent Saturday with family in San Diego so we spent the second day on our own. Kyle really likes some of the rides at California Adventure so we spent half the day over there. The weather was nice and cool and the park was empty, allowing Kyle and Tripp to go on each ride over and over again. Right after we entered the park, we came across the "Year of a Million Dreams" crew and were awarded the special "Million Dreams" fast passes! We couldn't believe it! We have always missed that crew by 15 minutes here and there on other trips and we passed them and they awarded us the passes...even Daisy got one! It was pretty magical. Next visit - Sleeping Beauty's castle.
So half the day in California Adventure and the other half back at Disneyland going on all the favorites one last time. We even got to go on ones that we usually don't waste fast passes on but now had free ones for - like Autopia! With Abbie's obsession with the movie Cars, it was definitely a hit.
Kyle and Abbie at the entrance to California Adventure
The Thompson Family being awarded the "Year of a Million Dreams" fast passes
Tripp & Kyle on the Maliboomer - Kyle cried his eyes out the first time and got really
mad at Tripp for making him try it - like I Hate You mad. He ended up riding it
two or three more times before we left. Now one of his absolute favorites. We'll never understand that kid.
Eating cotton candy near the candy corn field
Everyone with their treats (this one started out as mine)
Kyle with his Mickey ice cream sandwich
Daisy and her popcorn
Kyle and Abbie working on the Sword in the Stone (we watched it on the drive down)

Sunday: We were thankful for Daylight Savings because we all needed an extra hour after two full days and late nights at Disneyland. All the kids slept in and after a good breakfast we packed up and started back to Vegas. On our stop in Barstow, we ran into (not literally, thank goodness) the Wienermobile. Tripp was really excited to show it to the kids. They had special edition glow in the dark wiener whistles and an invitation to join them at Subway, which we declined. Tripp and I are pooped but it was a ton of fun.

10 comments:

Lindsay Griffeth said...

What a great trip! Love the girls in their Disneyland attire. And I'm now craving the Disneyland treats. Glad you had fun!

Sammy said...

okay seriously next time... no matter what craziness is going on in my life I am so there at disneyland with you. Swamp crotch disneyland trip was definitely one that will forever top the charts. Especially cause me and tara actually made tripp so sick he wanted to stop eating. Love it and sad I missed out!

Ali said...

Sorry to burst your memory bubble Sam but Swamp Crotch and the so sick Tripp never wanted to eat again visit were actually two different times. Swamp crotch was when you took the frozen banana into the Honey I Shrunk the Audience Theatre and the other time was with Lindsay in the group because you finished eating the huge bowl of gumbo out of a bread bowl with Tara and the next day I went on the cruise from ****.

Mamathom and Papathom said...

Really enjoyed the pictures and stories. Can imagine the great fun everyone had. Thanks for sharing

Unknown said...

I would like to mention that the leg was a "gift" and it would've been very rude to let it go to waste. That said, I do wish there was a mash potato & gravy vendor nearby...

Ali said...

Very true, that would be totally rude...especially to turn down fammily. I will make certain to bring a can of cranberry with me next time.

Patrick and Jennifer Thompson said...

Looks like loads of fun!!! Saige loved Abbies disneyland attire, very a cute.

Sammy said...

but swamp crotch was a great trip... putting that umbrella between my legs was just not a good idea... but the frozen banana in the theater was.

kh said...

I don't know what part of your trip makes me most happy...the dress ups, the treats or the Wienermobile. What memories!

CC said...

Woo Hoo for the Weinermobile!