Thursday, June 24, 2010

I Sew! Well, Sort-of...

I've been wanting to learn how to sew for as long as I can remember. A few years ago, Tripp found a really great sewing machine on sale at Sears. It is small and doesn't do anything fancy but it is perfect for learning how to sew and at under $50, it was the perfect price as well.

Fast forward to December 2009. I still hadn't used my machine! I kept looking into classes in town but with our schedule I could never commit to anything. Then I thought I would just teach myself...plenty of people do it. But I never got around to trying anything. I didn't want another year to go by without using the pretty blue machine so I devised a plan to invite a darling lady in my ward over once a week to help me out and keep me on track. Luckily, she was completely in to the idea and her two cute daughters wanted in as well. Thus began our Tuesday night sewing group.

So far, I've made napkins, pajama pants (pictured on Abbie above) and blankets. We've taken several weeks off along the way to accommodate schedules but usually Tuesday night at my house looks something like this...

It has been fun and I'm slowly getting the hang of things. Getting everything perfect is really tough. Sometimes just sewing a straight line can be tough! But I love it and I especially love seeing the Meyer family every Tuesday. They are all slowly moving out of my ward so Tuesdays will become a special time just to visit with them.

We've been busy this summer but I haven't been toting my camera around everywhere. Here is what we've been up to: swim lessons * swimming at the rec center * swimming at grandma & grandpas * lots of parties (going away, birthday, etc.) * scout camp (Kyle) * Wacky Wednesday (Abbie) * Discovery Museum * sleepovers * tennis soccer * Wii Fit * library * cleaning the church. No vacations yet but we plan to leave in a week for Duck Creek then Salt Lake City.

4 comments:

Colette said...

Looks like fun... we should all look for a new talent to develop. Have a great summer, miss you guys!

Patrick and Jennifer Thompson said...

Wish I could join you...also love the pajama pants, they look comfy.

Sammy said...

Maybe when my tuesday night class ends I can get in on sewing club?

Lindsay Griffeth said...

i'm thinking you and Sam can become the sewing masters and when I have time to fit sewing in to my life - you can teach me.