Monday, February 1, 2010

Applesauce

I made and canned applesauce this weekend. An absolute first for me. It started with a bunch of boxes of lovely Washington farm apples that I got for a steal then with encouragement from my sister-in-law Jennifer and the borrowing of her family's applesauce maker and canning equipment I was in business.

I made the applesauce Saturday. It was a time-consuming process with just me but once Tripp got home from "The Move", the two of us finished up like pros. That's right...Lindsay and Wes are settling in today in their house just down the street! Well, the next neighborhood but it is less than five minutes walk from my house...maybe three. I'm excited to have them close for fun, borrowing and maybe more lessons on how to doctor-up my blog photos!

Anyhoo, I didn't get as much done Saturday as I'd hoped so Tripp helped me can the sauce Sunday after church. It was a breeze...definitely the easiest part. We now have plenty of homemade applesauce for the family!

A special "Thanks" to Jenn for encouraging me to try it and to her family for loaning me the equipment. She is the best.

Up next, canning apple crisp and possibly breaking out my wheat grinder for some homemade bread!

2 comments:

Patrick and Jennifer Thompson said...

I am glad it went well, and it looks great! That is exciting to have family so close.

Lindsay Griffeth said...

We're glad to live near you guys, too. It will definitely make seeing you more convenient so we hope it happens more often!

Very impressed with the applesauce. I'll help you with photos and you can help me with anything in the kitchen. :)