Our garden has been growing like crazy. It's hard to believe the plants were so tiny, or in some case only seeds, when I planted them.
I've been using basil and parsley from the backyard for awhile now and will probably break into the arugula when I get back from Salt Lake and Reno. We have a ton of mint that I need to figure out what to do with (I'm thinking tea) and the chives are doing great but we aren't eating a lot of chive dishes...maybe in the fall. Sadly, the cilantro didn't make it. The pepper plant is growing but we haven't seen a pepper yet.
The tomato plants died, Tripp thinks the crazy zucchini bumped them out. I might try some of those upside down As-Seen-On-TV tomato contraptions. I'm sure my neighbor will love that. Speaking of our zucchini, the plant is growing like a weed. Between the zucchini and the pumpkin seeds I planted the entire side of the house is being taken over. We harvested a couple of zucchini last week and I used them in spaghetti sauce. The pumpkins are still tiny. Our watermelon seeds have turned into a large plant but no signs of actual watermelons yet. Maybe next season?
The peach and lemon trees seem to be doing well. Nothing yet but we didn't expect fruit until next year. We hope to plant full size apple trees in the back next spring. Maybe even a cherry? It's been fun having the plants and Abbie is enjoying looking for veggies (not necessarily eating them). We'll try to plant some more in the fall. Vegas is a tough place for planting so you really can't do much until then.
Thursday, July 16, 2009
Our Garden
at 3:13 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
I am really impressed, I tried a garden while I was living there and it was very sad. I definately don't have a green thumb, so kudos to you.
It looks good. GREAT first try. Proud of you. See you soon.
Post a Comment