Monday, May 11, 2009

New Plants and Other Fun Things...

We spent Friday night and Saturday taking care of the planters in our yard. They've been empty for quite awhile but we didn't want to just throw some plants in there...we really wanted to do something we would like. So, after many months of careful thought, we came up with a plan and spent this last week putting it into action. We are so happy to say the planters are finally complete.

We also had some fun visitors on Saturday. Grandma Sandy came for a three day stay and has been hanging out with us. And on Saturday, Paul and his kids dropped by for lunch and a couple hours of play time along with MamaThom and PapaThom. It was quite a site with Tripp and I planting and all the grandparents and kids here playing but everything got done and everyone had fun so mission accomplished.

The weekend prior we finished some items in our side yard. We got our compost bin up and operational (hooray! Now I can start on my next project...beekeeping. You think our neighbors hate us now, just wait until I start my beehive). While Tripp planted our lemon and peach trees, I took care of our herb and veggie garden.

Compost bin - The Christmas gift is out and operational! I'm reading the directions tonight and will start dumping in the trash tomorrow!

Herb/Veggie Garden - small portion. It wraps around the house.

Abbie and Grandma Sandy jumping on the trampoline.

Daisy tearin it up in the back yard. She isn't a trampoline fan quite yet. Thanks Kristen for the great threads...nothing says classy lady like an outfit with "Way Out" on your buns.

5 comments:

Sammy said...

beehive? I don't think i will be able to come over anymore

The Skeehan Family said...

I don't think Sam is kidding. She might have a heart attack knowing there's a beehive in the back.

Hope none of the kiddos are allergic. :)

Do you mind expouding on why a beehive? Never heard of such a thing.

Ali said...

To address Mimi/Lindsay (not really certain who left the comment) - I've been interested in it for a long time. Read numerous articles including about how people from NY to SF are starting to even put them on their rooftop gardens. There is a really rad company in SLC that will set you up then either let you take it over or maintain it for you. Wish I lived there.

Bees are pretty cool. They are an important part of our ecosystem that, like everything else, is disappearing. When properly kept, they aren't dangerous (I'm allergic by the way) and produce yummy hunny which we could live off of if we needed to.

Murphy got Sam over her fear of dogs, maybe my beehive will help her (and Abbie) with the bees. Haven't fully talked Tripp into it so we don't have to cancel our lunches just yet.

kh said...

My pleasure. : )

I'm sure you saw the recent beekeeping post on Design Mom. I thought it was fascinating.

And the yard looks fab!

Mamathom and Papathom said...

Uncle Charles has bees and when he takes the honey off the hives, he wears a white suit that covers him from head to feet that looks like a man from outer space. Good luck. If the neighbors got stung, they would not sue - would they???? People are so law-suit - crazy these days. Great seeing everyone. LOL