Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Kids

Abbie is in her third session of preschool. She had a minor set-back the last session and didn't want to leave my lap during singing/circle/sharing time. I think it was due to the recent arrival of Daisy. This time, she not only participates in that entire part of the class but does it with me sitting in the chairs in the back of the room watching. Here she is waiting for all the other kids to get their acts together for Ring Around the Rosy.

Seven Things You Might or Might Not Know About Kyle:
*It is really hard to get him to smile like this, a good natural happy smile, for pictures. He is either being goofy or just won't smile normal.
*He loves ribs and bacon. Pizza with ranch isn't far behind.
*He loves watching, following and especially participating in sports. He is really good at soccer but definitely holds his own in basketball, football, baseball and golf. He is also a really good swimmer. Tripp acts like he (Tripp) isn't a good athlete but Kyle had to get it somewhere.
*He is a really good reader and loves to read. If you can find a series that catches his interest, he is set. I spend a ton of time combing through the kids and young adult sections of the library looking for books for him. He is really an amazing reader for a 10 year old.
*Kyle is a fabulous big brother. I've mentioned before how he really wanted a brother but he is truly the best big brother two tiny sisters could ask for. I love going into the kids' room at night and seeing Kyle on the top bunk and Abbie snuggled on the bottom...just like Kyle wanted.
*Kyle is pretty nice to everyone. I see other kids at his school who make a huge fuss about sitting next to students they don't like or not playing with kids that are younger, etc. Kyle is an equal-opportunity friend to pretty much anyone and I really love/admire him for it. He will play with the first-grade boy next door or his fourth-grade sister...doesn't care. He is equally nice to them both. He gets along with just about everyone and if there is a problem, it is generally because the other kid doesn't have the same "Except Everyone" attitude Kyle has.
*Kyle is musically talented. I'm not sure how long we will continue to make him play the piano but his teachers have told me how quickly he catches on. His music teacher at school has mentioned several times how Kyle has a talent for music and a good voice compared to other students his age. I'm not sure he will ever do anything with it but I'm happy for him. Maybe on his mission they will call him to be the primary chorister.
Tripp and I feel so blessed to have Kyle at home with us. I know his sisters love him to death and wouldn't want to imagine life without their favorite big brother. Abbie is always sad when Kyle is "At Kyle's mommy's house". With divorce situations being what they are, life can be a little tough for Kyle and probably won't get much better in the near future but despite everything, he always brings a smile to our faces and lights up our lives.

6 comments:

Lindsay Griffeth said...

We sure do love Kyle! He is a great little kid and I'm proud to be his aunt.

Mamathom and Papathom said...

That is my little boy (thanks for sharing him with us). He is a good competitor and makes me work hard to beat him at bowling. I love the time we get to spend together.

Laura & Paul said...

Kyle is such a good kid! I agree with you on the equal opportunity friend. He is always so good to Isabelle when we see you guys. She adores him and asks about him often. he is probably going to be the kind of kid that is good at everything. We really love him.

Patrick and Jennifer Thompson said...

Kyle is an awesome Nephew and Cousin. Saige sure looks up to him and we love his fun personality.

CC said...

Mind you I've only met Kyle once, but even at a young age I could tell he was charismatic. He had a strong handshake and looked me straight in the eye when he introduced myself. I remember thinking this kid has some confidence and feels secure. Of course, while I appreciated that he was 7 & 3/4 (I don't remember the exact age) I didn't particularly enjoy having to tell him that I was 31 and 1/3.....but with a smart kid like that you have to be honest..You can tell by your stories that he is a fantastic big brother.

Wesley and Elizabeth Gormus said...

You and Tripp are very humble - kids don't get that way by accident. The two of you are doing a great job.