Friday, August 31, 2007

Happy Birthday Sue & Katie

Two of my very favorite people celebrate their birthdays within a day of each other....my aunt Susie and my oldest friend Katie (by length of friendship, not actual age).

Susie is my mom's only sister. She lives in Reno too so I got to spend a lot of time with her growing up. I have so many wonderful memories of doing things with her. She has always been very creative and I've received wonderful Halloween costumes, quilts, cards, books, etc. that she has spent hours working on for me. She even used to help me build and decorate scarecrows for my elementary school's annual scarecrow contest. She is such a giving person and we all love her a ton.

Katie and I have been friends since the 7th grade. Sometimes I'm amazed that with the way life changes I still have a friend from middle school but what makes it more amazing is that we haven't lived in the same city since we were sophomores in high school. That didn't stop us from continuing to hike, camp or even take our senior trip together. We always said that we wanted to live next door to each other but I guess living in the same state will have to do for now. Katie is a Radiation Oncologist. She went through many years of grueling school and training and now both saves lives and makes the lives of those who unfortunately aren't getting better more pleasant. What is most amazing about her though, is that unlike many doctors I know, she doesn't talk about it. She truly practices medicine to help others, not to walk around town telling everyone that she is a doctor (rare in my opinion). She has to be one of the most caring, humble people I know. She has a darling husband, son and dog, all of which we love hanging out with and I am so thankful to not only have had a friend for over twenty years but to have her as my friend for over twenty years.

Happy Birthday to you both!!!!!!!!!

0 comments: