Monday, February 6, 2012

Angie's Celebration

I had the pleasure of attending my cousin Angie's Life Celebration on Saturday night. She passed away earlier this year from cancer.


She didn't want us all to mourn her at a funeral and asked instead for a party...a celebration of life. Her husband, best friend, and family put together a beautiful party in her honor. Joe, her husband, made these amazing posters of her...the one at the birthday party is my favorite. They had photos around the room, different collectibles from her life displayed and a beautiful video to watch. We all had the opportunity to write a note of cheer or advice on a slip of paper then send it up to the heavens on a bunch of balloons. Hopefully someone will find our messages and have some good chi added to their life.

An organization was set up in her honor on the Susan G. Komen website...none of want to lose another loved one to breast cancer. It is entitled Angie Gibbs DeSantis "My Right Breast" and can be found here.
Angie's husband, Joe, is just darling. Sadly, I met him Saturday during set up for the very first time. He started a drum circle with his brother-in-laws and had the kids drumming with him...so fun. I'm certain Angie was loving that. She had an incredible love for her nieces and nephews...quite an aunt.
The entire drum circle. Corbin (Nicole's son) liked the drums so much that Michael handed his over. They went on like this forever.
I have a lot of fun memories of Angie. She was always this beautiful older cousin that did so many amazing things (Miss Reno, acted, lived in L.A., etc.) and was always so funny and up for anything. So was always just cool. I found out so many other amazing things about her that I didn't know and had a good cry over her beautifully written eulogy. She is missed but her energy and joyful spirit lives on and has touched all those around her.

2 comments:

Lindsay Griffeth said...

I wish I could have been there.

Lisa said...

I think she looked like you!