Monday, December 6, 2010

Abbie & Daisy's Big Day

Abbie & Daisy have been looking forward to this weekend for a long, long time. With their birthdays so close together, we try have joint celebrations. They've been wanting a party at the Carousel at the District all year so I when I called a couple of months ago to book a date they told me that they absolutely wouldn't do one in November or December because "The free movies are over (yep, that is their reasoning...really?)" I had to come up with plan B. I had two really disappointed daughters. I guess the District discriminates against those born in November and December. Luckily the girls LOVE to play games and play at the park so when I suggest we have a party at the park and play a bunch of games they wiped away their big, fat tears (did you read that District?) and jumped on board.

We played at the park next to our house until the majority of the kids arrived then started the games.
The first game was a balloon race. I had no idea that grass popped balloons. My little neighbor Julianna did and mentioned something offhand to me but we didn't realize the full weight of the problem until all the kids started running through the course with balloons popping every few seconds. I blew up a ton of balloons that morning and we went through them in a matter of minutes. Oops. It also sent Daisy into her first set of tears. It isn't a Thompson birthday party without one of my girls in tears the entire time. But some of the kids made it through without popping and several wanted to try again and again so I guess it wasn't a total loss. After the party Nate and Travis played balloon for a good long while.

After the balloon mishap, we had a spoon and marshmallow game then a knock-over-the-bottle game.
We played a cake walk style game on Peanuts cards. My favorite thing about this picture collage is all the big sister-little sister teams. Abbie & Daisy, Scottee & Hadley and Lulu & Ruby. Clay and Lacey are pretty great too. Clay seemed to remember where all the pictures where so every time the music stopped and we called out a name he would try to tell me where to find it. Too bad he doesn't know the Peanuts characters very well...
We broke open a pinata then sat down for cupcakes. The girls have been excited for awhile now that everyone would sing "Happy Birthday to Abbie & Daisy" - both girls names in one song. So when we actually sang it, Abbie got so excited her smile was huge and she pulled Daisy in tight. One of my favorite photos from the party.
The girls had so much fun. I hope the guests did too. It definitely wasn't anything fancy...but it turned out to be exactly what the girls wanted.
Thanks for coming Nate, Ryan, Travis, Talmedge, Johah, Ruby, Lulu, Abby L, Scottee, Hadley, Leila, Alessia, Joel, Phoebe & Lacey.
Thanks for helping Grandma Sandy (keeping an eye on kids at the park), Grandpa & Grandma Marz (loading up car), Lindsay (photos), Sam (games -general kid organization). I couldn't pull this off without my family.
We had two other parties that day (ugh) and per usual, Tripp was injured in some way for the girls' party. He took out his shoulder playing kickball at Kyle's soccer party just prior to the birthday party. Luckily, it is turning out to be just some sort of sprain/dislocation but lots of pain and only partial movement in his shoulder Saturday (good thing the Orthopedic Surgeon lives close by) and Sunday were a part of our weekend.
Grandma Sandy left Sunday night which was accompanied by the usual set of Abbie tears. She is really attached to Grandma. This morning she was really sad. She said, "Playing school and Barbies just isn't the same. I can't play them as well without Grandma." She really, really loves her Grandma. We can't wait to see her again soon.
I love this photo of Aunt Sam and baby Ryan....

1 comments:

Lindsay Griffeth said...

It was the perfect party! Glad the girls enjoyed it - we sure did.

And I hope The District doesn't discriminate against February birthdays because I've been thinking about having Ryan's 1st birthday there if it's not too cold.