Sunday, November 14, 2010

Grasshoppers Fall Season

The Grasshoppers ended their fall season Saturday with a game and a fun little party. I have to say, if you want a good belly laugh, come watch four and five years olds play soccer. It's a hoot.

We had a great coach. Coach Mike was the best mix (in my opinion) of fun and skill. We certainly weren't the best team in the league but not the worst either. The kids came to practice every week and had fun. But they also learned some really good skills as well. However, I was really impressed that, all things considered, he didn't take the whole thing too seriously. In the end, these kids are 4 and 5. I didn't have high expectations of what they would do and I didn't really appreciate how great this team and coach was until we started playing games and I saw some of the other coaches (and parents) and how seriously they were taking it. I just wanted Abbie to give it a try, learn a few skills, learn how to play with a team and have some fun. Mission accomplished. And she can't wait to play in the spring. She was the only girl on the team and it didn't both her one bit. I really loved that as well.

But most of all, Daisy can't wait to be four and play soccer. She feels really left out that both Kyle and Abbie play and she can't. Coach Mike is great and lets her participate in some of the practice with the team (her new favorite game is Sharks & Minnows) but she just can't get big enough fast enough. It's stinks to be small.

Go Grasshoppers!

3 comments:

Patrick and Jennifer Thompson said...

Garrett is right there with you Daisy. It's tough being the little guy but at times it does have it's perks.

Mamathom and Papathom said...

Great job, Abbie. Love the post and pictures. Love YOU ALL.

Tina said...

So fun and the only girl that's great. Zeke can't get big & old fast enough either. He is so excited to play soccer next year when he turns 4. Tell the kids Aunt Tina says Hi and way to go Abbie