Tripp has been on the road since two weeks before the kids got out of school. He's made it home for most of or at least partial weekends but summer is a travel season for him and luckily we just keep busy enjoying time off and invitations from friends here at home for fun. Last week, he had meetings in San Francisco for four days and asked if I'd like to meet him the remainder of the weekend. I heart SF and a few days without the nuts seemed workable. Our super great friends Josh & Mallory agreed to stay with the girls and Kramer so we were set. Tripp's group was scheduled to spend the day at the PGA Event on Thursday and since Tripp has been to so many he was able to take a pass and we got to spend an extra day together.
We started the day at one of my favorite places in SF, AT&T Park. I always wanted to go to Candlestick Park as a kid and never got to. I had classmates in the stadium when the earthquake hit, which sort of freaked me out hearing about it later, but I've grown to really love this stadium. This is now my third game, which isn't many by some standards (Legarzas, you can laugh now) but I have been twice with my best friends and now once with just Tripp and each time has been marvelous. Sadly, the Giants lost. But we loved every second of the game. Great weather, relaxing atmosphere. Baseball is just a wonderful game to watch live. Can't beat it. (Thanks for the seat suggestions Martin)
After the game we just strolled around the city for awhile, shopped a little and just really kind of walked. We love walking around SF and just checking it out. We never really end up far from anything and it always works out. It was leisurely and nice. For dinner, we contacted our restaurant go to gal, Katie, who never steers us wrong no matter what part of the city we end up in. She suggested John's Grill and it was fantastic.
We were right around the corner from the start point of a cable car run that would take us right back to our hotel so we hoped on. They are fun to ride at night with the breeze blowing in your face. All that fresh air made Tripp hungry again and we took a short walk to check out the galleries by Ghirardelli Square then stopped in for some ice cream...Tripp's favorite SF treat.
The next day we walked along the wharf, and all it's terrible tourist shops, for a chance at lunch in the Ferry Building in the Embarcadero. I love the sailboats on that side of the bay and there was a great view while we waited for our table. After lunch we poked around for olive oil, macaroons, honey and other wonderful delights.
After making our way back to the hotel I was pooped and cold (the weather had definitely turned). Tripp got a crazy idea that we needed to rent a Go Car and drive around the city and soak in all the facts we didn't already know about the different areas. It seemed harmless so I figured why not. We spent nearly four hours in our Go Car in the wind and cold. I felt like I was in a sidecar. But I did hear some interesting facts about the city and got to squeeze in a short visit to the Japanese Tea Garden. It was quite an experience but I'm opting for biking across the GG Bridge to Sausalito and into the Red Woods next time.
On our last day we walked to Chrissy Field, one of our absolute favorite places in SF. It's such an amazing beach. We've never seen so many kids and families out for a day of sunbathing and water play before. But there was the usual dog brigade running up and down the beach and jumping into the water to fetch balls and frisbees. We had to have seen 50+ English Bulldogs that day...must have been some sort of gathering. It was astounding. One sweet little white bulldog was the spitting image of our Tilly. The views of the Golden Gate Bridge are just to fantastic and the beach walk it second to none. Sadly, we had to catch a plane so with the 8+ mile round trip walk, we didn't have to time hang out in two of our favorite places...The Warming Hut or Sports Basement. Next time perhaps.
We can never get enough of San Francisco and can't wait for an opportunity to go back...although the girls have made it very clear they want to be invited next time as well.

0 comments:
Post a Comment